Monday, July 7, 2014

Monday, July 7, 2014




The title of this blog might strike you as odd.  How many people title a blog with a date, especially a date 10 years ago.  I do.  You see July 15, 2006 is the day we learned that my rocket scientist as stage IV colon cancer and was given but a few months to live.  Here we are 10 years later and he's still here with me.  It hasn't been easy on him, and it hasn't been easy on me.

When we married on June 30, 2002 we had so many dreams and plans.  Traveling we wanted to do.  Pets we wanted o raise.  Buying and RV and traveling across the states.  I love the desert and couldn't wait to introduce my rocket scientist to the desert.  Australia was a big trip w wanted to make together.  So many places to go and people to meet.  We were happy.  We were in love with each other and with life.  Needless to say we haven't done anything on our bucket list but taken a few cruises to Alaska, and that is because a cruise is so easy for the rocket scientist.  The chemo patients dream vacation.

Stage IV colon cancer is not something we expected to hear, but I remember it like it was yesterday.  Dr. Kramer coming into the room to give us the results of the colonoscopy.  Stage IV colon cancer and 6-12 months to live and with that bit of news he walked out of the office leaving us standing there looking as if our world had caved in.  It had.  Luckily we met with an oncologist, Dr. Ingber right after that and while our world would never be the same, Dr. Ingber is determined to increase the odds.  He ha managed to keep the rocket scientist alive these past ten years, doing whatever it takes to keep him going.  At this point the rocket scientist is an active part of his treatment board, often researching and taking his own thoughts and ideas to the tumor board.

Several doctors on the tumor board are openly shocked that the rocket scientist is still alive.  He finds that amusing.  He is living in the 5% and has been for the past seven years.  Living in the 5% means he should be dead by now.  God has another plan.

I will try to get some pictures posted on here tomorrow while the rocket scientist is in surgery.  Pictures give a blog a more personal touch.  Tomorrows surgery is on both bronchial tubes and his esophagus to scrape the tumors down so the rocket scientist can breath again.  Ten years is a lot of time to cover, but I will and probably not n chronological order, but more or less in the order events and details come to mind.  Blogging is new for me so bear with me and I get my feet wet here.

No comments:

Post a Comment