Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tuesday, July 8 Part II

My Family.  They are the most important people in my life and I love each and every one of them to the moon and back.  My rocket scientist aka Phillip.  Dylan aka Denny aka Denny Goose.  Zachary aka Zak aka Sugar Pop.  Sheila aka the beautiful one.  I am so blessed to have them.  Without them I would be an orphan.  Literally.


Zak, Mari, Dylan, Sheila, Phil


Zak surprised me this past weekend and told me he would like to attend a costuming event with me sometime this year.  I was touched beyond words.  You see Zak has found a lot of humor in my costuming life and has a hard time understanding my love for it.  For me it's a time for escape.  Escape from cancer and a time to time travel into another world.  People all costume for different reasons.  Some people are simply costumers, like me.  Some take it a lot more seriously and do reenacting, not me.  For me it is a time to be with friends, living in another time period, having fun.

I love looking at the calendar and seeing what is coming up next and what will I wear.  Next weekend is a Bastille Day tour of the botanical gardens and then tea at a French bakery.  Perfectly lovely.  The middle of July is a Picnic where we are to come as our favorite fictional character.  Anyone who knows me knows that Cinderella is my all time favorite fictional character and Mattie Mae is making me the perfect Cinderella dress--I can't wait to see it. 

Costuming keeps me sane.  It gives me reason in my life when it seems there is no reason to my life.  I don't do all eras.  My favorite times to travel to are Regency, Edwardian, Georgian, and now the 1940's a bit.  I do take pride in my costumes and try to always look good, even if I may not be using fabrics that are era appropriate.  I do it for the fun of costuming not reenacting.  I've had a few eye rolls from re-enactors repulsed by my dresses and fabric and my response to the judges is pretty much "if you spend as much time looking at yourself in the mirror, maybe you would look as good as I do."  Thankfully costumers are a friendly fun group and we love looking at each other and seeing who is wearing what.  Fun is the goal at any event. 

Back to Zak.  I don't know what event he will attend nor what he will wear, but I look forward to him seeing what I do.  He has seen me in a few costumes and while he thinks I look pretty he has no idea what on earth happens at a costuming event.  I cannot wait to introduce him to my costuming world.

I hope that sometime when Dylan and Sheila are here there might be a costume event that we can attend together.  I know they would love dressing up in costume and having a grand time with me.

Until next time  .  .  .


No comments:

Post a Comment